Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Review: South Park - The Stick of Truth (2014)

Review by Disgruntled Monkey

Developers: Obsidian Entertainment & South Park Digital Studios
Publisher: Ubisoft

Ever since this game was announced I've been positively excited for it. Despite delays, possible cancellation and other dark forces aligning against it (Australia Censorship Board), I was pretty confidant that I would adore the game. Well sure enough I played through it pretty quickly, not wanting to stop my wonderful journey, and yet while I can truly say that this game was not a disappointment there is a 'but' coming.

First off the game is pretty much an episode of South Park which is great to see. Secondly it rewards fans of the show with some great in jokes but it doesn't just rest on them. Throughout the game there is some great commentary on video games and the industry. Truly Matt and Trey are every bit lovers of video games.

While a few would expect the South Park aspect to be great thanks to the involvement of Matt and Trey, the game itself is very solid. It offers a lot more customization than I would have thought and there is a certain strategy in how to handle certain enemies. Character progression is pretty decent if not the most in depth and at a play time of about 10+ hours, it's a good length if a little small for a RPG.

But (see I told you) there was something that was bugging me as I got further into the game. I love South Park the show and yet at 30 minutes an episode it's pretty condensed. The shows humor doesn't let you wollow to much, and quickly moves on to the next target. This game however can't move on to quickly, as such sometimes you are faced with living with a joke for a bit too long. 

I can't get into specifics as that would be spoilers. But at least 3 or 4 times I just wanted to get a particular scene over and done with because I couldn't stand the material. It's not that I was exactly offended, it's just I didn't need to have the joke rubbed in my face over and over again.

South Park: The Stick of Truth is truly a game for fans of the show, and it has enough meat on the game side of things to actually be a worthy game for non fans. However the humor here can burn you out, even if you are a fan of it. I could get negative but I would instead like to think of it as too much of a good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment