Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Review: Rogue Legacy (2013)

Review by Disgruntled Monkey

Developer: Cellar Door Games

Legacy isn't merely a word. It defines me, it cements my resolve. When my time is up on this world I shall have created a legacy that no one will be able to ignore.

Well at least this is how I felt when playing Rogue Legacy. Generation after generation fell to various skeletons, floating eyeballs and corrupted knights. But it was all a worthy cause as I eventually made my way to a character that proved to be the one to destroy the end game boss and make all my work worth it. You see Rogue Legacy is a bloody hard game, but if you die you will always get the son or daughter of your previous character to pick up where their parent fell.

It a really neat system and one that lends itself to a harder game. You see even if you die, your off spring inherits any money found and this can be used on improvements. Slowly but surely your family gets better and better and eventually you have a beast of a character that can take on all comers. It takes the sting of death away as you are always progressing and can feel it.

Thankfully the progression system is bolstered by a really tight control system which lays death at your feet. No matter how many times I swore at the screen or cried out in anger, I realised that the only person to blame is myself. This along with that progression system makes for one of the most fun games I've played in 2013. In fact if you look back at previous blog entries you'll see it made it in my top games of 2013.

Beside the game play, Rogue Legacy has little else to offer. The story is intriguing but never made that important, the graphics work but are nothing astounding and the music is harmless but nothing I would want to listen to over and over again. Still the game play is so strong that it never needs any of these things to truly succeed. In fact alot of the so called AAA games can take a note from this. Sometimes you just need to get one thing exceedingly right to truly succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment