Saturday, December 28, 2013

Stardate 28/12/2013 (2013 Favourite Films)

When it gets to the end of the year I normally like to make lists of the top ten movies i've watched. However this year two things have prevented me from really making a big list. One is that I just haven't been able to see as many movie as I would have this year thanks to money being tight. The second reason is that out of the movies I've watched there isn't a whole heck of a lot that have impressed me enough to put them on a top ten list.

In my mind the second reason is the saddest thing. I love movies and to come away from a year with not many movies making a worthwhile impression on me is slightly disappointing. Sure there have been movies that have entertained the heck out of me. But there needs to be something that gels with me.

Thankfully I've managed to find four movies that really hit the spot with me and will now list them out for you to peruse. This will be short and simple but there you have it.

Evil Dead: This is a how you do a remake. In fact it's not really a remake more a story that takes place in the same location as the other movies. Some terrific acting from Jane Levy, and some really nasty looking effects that elevate the creep factor. This is a great horror movie that hooked me.
Pacific Rim: This movie is just fun. Massive monsters versus giant robots whats not to like? You also have mad man Guillermo Del Toro behind the scenes who seems to understand the highs and lows we want to experience in a monster movie.

Spring Breakers: I didn't think I would like this movie but I was wrong. Very close to visual poetry that just washes over you with meaning. Don't be fooled by the flash up front, beating beneath it is a movie that is worth the time to watch.

The Conjuring: I like ghost stories and this one is well told. A likeable cast really grounds the movie and makes you care. Some great scares and tension overcome any flaws in the script. You will crap your pants at the idea of a haunted doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment