Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tree of Life 2: Man of Steel


So with the release of The Dark Knight Rises we also got the release of the new teaser trailer for the new Superman movie, Man of Steel. The teaser trailer actually comes in two flavours. One narrated by Kevin Costner who plays Jonathon Kent and the other is narrated by Russell Crowe who plays Jor-El. Using both father figures talking to Clark is interesting, and I like the duality that they seem to be trying to set up. However there was something about the trailers that worried me slightly and the reason why I’m writing this. But before I continue you can watch the trailers below so we all know what the hell I’m talking about.



Russel Crowe Voice Over

Kevin Costner Voice Over

Okay so are we all done? Good. Now I don’t want to be all fanboy and complain, so let me get all the good things out of the way first. The visuals do look really well shot, the narration seems to be spot on character wise, Superman going supersonic is rather cool, and I have no problem with Henry Cavill in the role of Clark Kent/Superman.

Really after all that it would seem that I should have loved the trailer right? Well no, you see there is something missing from this trailer that really needed to be shown. Action! Superman beating the crap out of things, hurling heavy things at bad guys, hell saving someone would have been good. Sure you could say that this was just a teaser trailer and that they will probably put action in the next one, but come on we need the Superman movie we’ve never really had, and the studio should assure the viewing public that that’s what they are going to get.

While there has been action in the Superman movies, we’ve never really had the type of epic battle that comic readers have been used to. Sure the older movie did the best with the available technology they had at the time. But that excuse can’t be used for the last Superman movie which was so boring, and really lacked an awesome finale. I don’t count picking up an island as awesome.

In my mind the first trailer to be released for this new Superman movie needed to have Supes smack the holy hell out of something. Instead the teaser had an almost Tree of Life feel to it. I swear I thought they were doing a sequel at first. Take a look at some of the screenshots below from Tree of Life, you could have added them to the trailers above and I’m sure no one would have spotted the difference.



Now I still have high hopes for the film, but the smallest of crack has appeared. As a friend pointed out this reeks of Superman Begins, and if this movie is a methodical, thoughtful piece looking at the makings of an icon, then this franchise will be dead in the water. We need a fun, action packed Superman. When people try to get to thoughtful with Superman in the comics bad things often happen. Not always, but it’s definitely the harder road to travel. Plus I think if the Avengers has proven anything, you can still have a well made movie, but it can just be fun for the audiences not much thinking involved.

Two issues from one of those missteps. The Grounded story line was bad.

So that’s my concern, take from it what you will, but I feel better for getting it out there. Hey at least the movie can’t be as bad as Batman and Robin right?

No comments:

Post a Comment