Saturday, January 21, 2012

Down, Down and Below

Working in a comic store, I’ve been afforded a unique perspective on the industry. The only way it could be better is if I wrote for the industry, but I doubt that’s going to happen any time soon. But I must say I’m excited to see what sells, what doesn’t, and what new comics are on the horizon. I thought perhaps that I would look at some of the comics I’m reading and would like to recommend. Also would like to mention two comics that are on the horizon and are getting me excited. So let’s begin.

Wolverine and the X-Men by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo

The merry Marvel mutants have always been a risky proposition with me. Sometimes I dig the stories, other times they just don’t connect with me. While I’ve been enjoying Uncanny X-Force of late, I didn’t really need another darkish comic story with the X-Men. Also honestly these are not the X-Men I remember, or so I thought. Along comes this little gem and I’m having so much fun it’s ridiculous. Honestly this comic connects with the little kid in my head and I just hope this strong writing continues. Not only is the pace of the story energetic, and the script crackle with great dialogue, but hidden in the background are in jokes and just great little details.

Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang

My goodness is this a great book. I touched upon it when I wrote my sum up of the new DC 52, but I need to hold it up again and try and pimp it hard. The story is slow in some regards, but in that good way. Things are bubbling in the back ground, a bigger story is fitting the pieces together, and it just makes me want to keep reading. Out of the new 52 this series has really embraced the mandate to write for both fans and new readers. Giving us the character we all love, and yet a story very accessible and new. But while I’ve said the main story seems to be a slow boil, there is action aplenty and never feels like a bore. More people need to get out there and read Wonder Woman.

Saga by Brian K Vaughn and Fiona Staples

The writer of Y the Last Man (one of my favourite comic series), returns to comics with this story that’s being described as Star Wars meets A Game of Thrones. From what I can gather from the story, two people from warring factions fall in love and run away. Unlike other doomed couples, they survive and have a child who is the narrator of the story. The feel of the few preview pages seems like fantasy creatures in a modern age. Either way I’m excited and can’t wait to feast my eyes on the double size issue one.


America’s Got Powers by Jonathon Ross and Bryan Hitch

A while back there was a show called Who Wants to Be a Superhero. I see one big flaw with this show. No one has powers so the show is a little bit of a bust. That’s of course if they were all Batman. Still the idea of a reality show dedicated to finding out the new hero/team is an interesting one, and finally the idea is coming to comic this year with America’s Got Powers. But for something like this you’ll need someone who understands show business. Oh wait Jonathon Ross is a UK TV Host (check him out from Pen and Tellers Fool Us), well then that will do. I’m excited as both Ross and Hitch are looking at this as not just a mini series but world building with possible other comics leading off from this work. Take my money I’m in.

No comments:

Post a Comment