Saturday, December 3, 2011

The New Hotness

A whole slew of new shows have raised their hands in an effort to grab my attention and I want to go through them with you. So grab a gun, ride a dinosaur, beware the gimp, and start believing in fairy tales, because it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

American Horror Story

Starting with a show that took me a little bit of time to get used to, and to be honest it’s still taking a bit of getting used to. However the show is creepy, the characters are disturbing and it’s giving me something that I don’t have on television. Also the show gives Dennis O’Hare work and that’s always appreciated. Personally I think this series will be jarring for people, I myself was thrown off by the characters, and how free form the main story drive is, but after a few episodes i'm starting to see the light. If you are after a well done horror show than I would highly recommend.

Terra Nova

Oh Terra Nova. I want to like you, but you just seem to be going through the motions. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still enjoying the show if only for dinosaurs, Stephen Lang and Jason O’Mara, but the family dynamic travels down some very worn roads. Things are starting to pick up which is good to see, and given time the show could really find its footing and become very interesting. Just at this moment they seem to mining scripts stolen from other science fiction shows. There is also the issue of special effects and sometimes they over reach what they are capable of, but they a fully using their shooting location in Australia to really make it  seem like the untamed wilds.

Grimm

One of two television shows that focused on fairy tales. Grimm’s Fairytales were real, and the brothers were actually hunters. Now over the ages there has been Grimm trying to destroy the evil creatures of the world. So it’s like Buffy but without the Joss Whedon writing, and the memorable characters. Kind of like Terra Nova, I’m only really digging one character and he’s holding the whole show up. That would be Silas Weir Mitchell as Eddie, the vegan Big Bad Wolf. I will keep watching but I haven’t been wowed by it. It is at the moment very monster of the week. There is some main plot development but this show is in danger of stalling if it takes too much time. But as long as there is Eddie i'll always put aside some time to watch Grimm.

Once Upon A Time

I love the comic book Fables and this seems to be the closest I’m going to get to it on the television. Fairytale characters thrown into the modern day and yet none of them seem to know the truth. I love this show and think it’s one of the better paced shows on television at the moment. It has some of the writing talent from Lost and they seem to have learnt from that show what to do and not to do. We have a clear end game and yet there are still mysteries hanging over the main story. Most of the acting is pretty solid with Robert Carlyle the highlight in my opinion as Rumpelstiltskin. The only thing that could wreck this show is if they prolong the story too much. I could see this show going for four to five seasons, but any longer and they could wreck the flow.

Final Thoughts

I must say this television season has been better than most, with me connecting with four of the new offerings. There have also been many old favourites that I’m enjoying but I’ll get to them another day. I’m hoping that all four of these shows have managed to stay away from the studio axe for now, and really it’s all going to come down to the wrap up of the seasons to see if these shows really have what it takes.

2 comments:

  1. Never could get into Terra Nova. American Horror Story is a guilty pleasure fascination though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terra Nova is surviving more as the show I watch while I do stuff on my computer.

    ReplyDelete