Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Those 80's Movies

2010. Woo. What a year it has been. Like many soon I will be unleashing my Top Movies List on the general populace but before that I thought I would look back at a more innocent time in movies. Back to the 80’s, back to when I was born. I went to Flickchart which I use for my entire movie list making needs and looked back at the top 10 movies that I dug from the 80’s. By the way I know Tron isn’t on this list. Shut up.

10: Batman (1989) – I love me some Batman when I was just a little kid. Come to think of it I still love me some Batman. As a little kid this was one of those cinema going moments that made me fall in love with movies in general.

09: Return of the Jedi (1983) – Okay sure this movie had the Ewoks. Sure it had Boba Fett screaming like a little girl as he died. But for me there is one scene that gives me goose bumps every time and that’s when Vader mentions Luke’s sister, cue Luke going berserk, almost falling to the dark side; all because he wants to protect the one he loves.

08: Robocop (1987) – Future of law enforcement. I’ll buy that for a dollar. I want a recount. Dick you’re fired. I love this guy. I could go on but I’ll save you from the horror. This movie has engrained itself on to my brain.

07: The ‘Burbs (1989) – I think I’ve watched this movie more than any other. I’m not sure what that says about me as a person. Love it so much I would want to have its babies. Every time I watch it I thank that Joe Dante exists.

06: Aliens (1986) – Back in the day when I respected James Cameron. This movie proved that sequels could be good. He also created a movie where the marine archetypes he had are being replicated over and over again; or at least in my opinion.

05: Phantasm 2 (1988) – The Tall Man is my favourite villain character from this period. Sorry Freddy, Jason and Michael. Just the way he can be intimidating with just the way he walks and looks without resorting to costume and make up gets the big thumbs up from me.

04: Beetlejuice (1988) – I think what makes this movie so special isn’t Tim Burton but that helps. It’s the cast they have. Everyone just works so well and get the humor. As much as at one point I though Keaton was the best Batman (that honor now belongs to Christian Bale), to me Beetlejuice will be how I always remember him.

03: Blade Runner (1982) – Some may say that I’ve seen too many version of this movie but there can never be too much Blade Runner. Everything about this movie just screams attention to detail and taking a look at the 3 hour long making of you can see how insane it all was.

02: Escape from New York (1981) & The Thing (1982) – Okay it might be cheating a little but I love these movies equally. Both have Kurt Russell in the lead and both are directed by John Carpenter. On a side note to The Thing, that beard Kurt Russell is sporting is everything that is man.

01: Ghostbusters (1984) – And the number one 80’s movie is a movie that probably appears on many many peoples lists. What can I say that hasn’t been said before? A gentleman I listen to on the Sarcastic Voyage podcast (shameless plug) said that when he was a kid he wanted to be a Ghostbuster. It was the same for me.

So there you have it. The 80’s wrapped up in a nice bow tie. I’ll leave you with an appropriate picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment