Friday, September 18, 2009

Selling Out is Dirty.

I'm sick and tired of everyone accusing everyone of being a sell out. It's an insult that just does not work for most people given that title. A lot of the people who yell out the two words sell and out are often jealous of other peoples success and have to undermine the things people do. Trawling the internet I've found a definition of what sell out means.

One who betrays a cause for personal advancement.

Sounds pretty simple but then how does this apply to an athlete who moves from one team to another. Here is a guide. Athlete number one has gone on record as saying "I love this city and I will not leave here for any price." Even though he shows his love of his home town the fans really don't like him. A few months later he is given an offer to move to another city. For the sake of this example he is given two million for the move. Now athlete number two has always proclaimed "I love this sport and thank the lord every day for the chance to play." He is big with the fans. One day he is given the chance to move to another team for ten million. Now out of these two who is the sell out?

While I wait for the answer please enjoy this random picture.


If you guess athlete number one then you are absolutely right. He took money and went against something that meant a lot to him. But here is the bonus round. Who do you think would be more likely to be called a sell out? If you guessed athlete number two then you would be in the money and probably being called a sell out.

Anyway that's just a little rant. If anyone does read this I would ask you to take the time and reflect. I've used this term before and I really wish I hadn't as the target didn't deserve it. I hang my head in shame. But if you really really want someone to blame for the fortune of others than I have a suggestion which I will communicate through picture.




No comments:

Post a Comment