Friday, July 17, 2009

Cityscapes and Future Visions

I think what draws me to science fiction is the different visions of the future people have. How in a single instant you can stare at a frame of celluloid or a piece of art and get a sense where we are headed as a species. There are some classic science fiction books that can create vivid images as well. Now a lot of these books, movies and art pieces kind of reflect the future in a negative light but good or bad I dig them. Now I'm going to keep this journal entry short as I think I've made the point and really showing you some pictures that I like is going to be more productive. But I think there are a few books you should get out there and read.

1984
Neuromancer
Starship Troopers
Dune
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Anyway that's not the be all and end all but they are some of my favorites. Now the pictures are from a variety of sources and in my mind reflect some of the different visual ideas. I'm not going to give my thoughts on the pictures, just put them out there and you can come up with your own thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I've been thinking on adding a section like this to my blog that features the futuristic cityscapes of science fiction films. Like you, that's one of the main things that really intrigue me when watching sci-fi films. It's interesting to see a representation of our possible future society or even of other worlds not akin to our own. Really digging the site and keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete